Lecture – Sherlock Holmes, The Evolution of a Timeless Character by Warren Chaney
No other character has been beloved generation after generation. Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, however, has indeed evolved from Doyle’s original 54-volume cannon of Sherlock Holmes novels–to stage, radio, silver screen, and well into the digital age. Dr. Warren Chaney will trace the ebbs and flows of Sherlock Holmes with clips from key sources. Chaney will also address the secret to Sherlock Holmes’ success and the current quintessential deerstalker cap, Inverness cloak and calabash pipe.
Tuesday, August 07, 2018 – 6:30 PM
Members $12, Tickets $18
Behind the Scenes Tour of Our Hall of Paleontology – Dinosaurs of the Jurassic
Because the Morian Hall of Paleontology is too large to tour in one evening, we are bringing back this popular series that covers the hall section by section with James Washington–now expanded to 6 sessions. All sessions are Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m.
The Jurassic Period ushered in the “Golden Age of Giants,” the time of 100-foot-long diplodocuses and stegosaurs who were skilled swordsmen. Predatory dinos clothed themselves with feathers. Giant sea reptiles cruised the oceans, while winged dactyls hunted for squid.
Wednesday, August 08, 2018 – 6:00 PM
Tickets $25, Members $15 per session.
The social set has never looked so smart!
Pop on over to our place to mingle, clink your cocktail glass, and break out your best dance moves. Doors open at 7 p.m. for the live band, dancing, cash bars, and the city’s best food trucks. The perfect party, where the science club meets the social set, happens each month from June through August. Hitting this scene is a sure sign of intelligence!
- Members: $15
- Non-members: $25
- Corporate Rate – contact our Corporate Sales department (Martine Kaye or Chris Arreaga) to find out more.
*Ticket pricing not applicable to Spirits & Skeletons.
Mixers & Elixirs 2018 Future Dates:
Friday, July 20, 7–10 p.m., featuring live music by Electric Circus and DJ Dame Hype
- Food Trucks: Nom Mi Streets, Foreign Policy, Whatcha Cravin’
Friday, August 10, 7–10 p.m., featuring live music by Satellite and DJ Dame Hype
- Food Trucks: Nom Mi Streets, Waffle Bus, D’Lish Curbside
2ND SATURDAY Is For Members!
Opening at 8 a.m. for Members only.
On the second Saturday of each month at our main location in Hermann Park, HMNS will open one hour early for Members only! See the Museum’s permanent exhibitions—always free for Members—before the crowds. Get exclusive discounted entry to special exhibitions, and enjoy arts & crafts, touch carts and guided tours while you’re here. Also featuring—Kid’s Pass! Bring it back every 2nd Saturday and your child will receive a small prize!
2ND SATURDAY is always free for Members. Make the most of your Membership and join us for 2ND SATURDAY.
And don’t miss out, now 2nd Saturday will now feature family programming from 9 a.m. to noon —with a different theme each month!
- Jan: Come explore the Lunar Eclipse with an educational lunar craft!
- Feb: Learn more about density through our interactive program “Discovering Density”
- Mar: Is it venomous or is it poisonous? Or maybe both? Explore the difference between poison and venom with us!
- Apr: Flowers are blooming early this year! Join us and celebrate our Earth by making a beautiful wildflower from recycled material
- May: Come talk about Energy with us through our interactive program “Exploring Energy”
- June: Make your Dad a great Father’s Day gift while learning about the early printing process!
- July: Join us this month and take home an awesome balloon creation!
- Aug: Love dinosaurs? We do too! Come learn about some of the dinosaurs in our Paleontology hall up close and personal through our program “Dinosaur Discovery”
- Sep: Come make your own interesting and unique pin to take home and show off!
- Oct: Join us this month and take home an awesome balloon creation!
- Nov: It’s that time again! Make an ornament to take home or leave with us – come back in December to see it hanging on the HMNS Member Tree in the Grand Hall!
- Dec: Ever wonder about the weather? That’s great, we love to learn about it! Come explore the atmosphere and our ever-changing weather!
Sunday August 12 & 13
5:00 p.m.–5:00 a.m.
Between 10:00 p.m. and midnight there are usually the early meteors which hit and graze along the top of our atmosphere forming the long tails and beautiful “shooting stars.” The meteors which come closer to the peak hours are short and fast. The Moon phase will be excellent for a good show. If the weather is good, come see if we can spot some of the meteors.
Bring a lawn chair, picnic and bug spray to enjoy the show. Telescopes will also be available till midnight