The Latest on Lois: It’s Getting Hot in There!

July 19, 2010

7.19.10 Amorphophallus titanum
This central, green leafy region appears slightly wider,
as the spathe has continued to loosen
from the central spadix.
More photos on Flickr.

Lois continues to develop – much more slowly than we initially anticipated, but the differences are noticeable day-to-day, as you can see in our Flickr set.

Lois has been reacting well to heat, and to humidity – so, we are making it even hotter in the Cockrell Butterfly Center and keeping the temperature upwards of 80 degrees. To do so, we have kept the plastic on the doors, added lights and a humidifier.

Making a place hotter indoors is definitely not what you would expect during a Houston summer – but we want to do everything we can to help Lois bloom!

Stay up to day with frequent Lois updates on Twitter, and through our videos with Zac.

Erin B
Authored By Erin B Blatzer

Erin is the Director of Business Development at HMNS. In a past life, she was a public relations and online marketing dynamo at HMNS.

7 responses to “The Latest on Lois: It’s Getting Hot in There!”

1. Nancy says:

I read on your information page about the plant that it is endangered in Sumatra. How many are held in botanical collections? Since it booms so rarely and unpredictably, wouldn’t it be good to pollinate it and see if you can increase the number of plants? I know it would close the flower, sad for us watching and visiting, but wouldn’t it be better for the plants?

Looks like it’s getting close to opening, I wish the webcam had smell-o-vision! Or, maybe not. 😉

2. Steve S says:

I had my concerns about Lois’ growth being retarded by being placed in a conditioned air setting. Glad to hear that she’s being warmed up and responding well to it. She does look to be nearing her “Grand Opening”. 🙂

3. Steve S says:

Nancy,

The reason for it being endangered is not because the plant itself cannot reproduce at a fast enough rate in the wild. Sadly, the problem is that for the sake of progress, 80% of their natural jungle habitat has been cleared leaving it with much less room to grow.

4. tiffany says:

I must admit that when I read the title to this posting I could only think of the song by Nelly – It’s Getting Hot In Here. It made me chuckle because the lyrics say: It’s getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes….

LOL 🙂

5. scottF says:

I hate to say it, but I fear this plant may never completely open.

6. rwl says:

As I tell people about Lois, a repeated question comes up that I haven’t found the answer to:

How do the plants propogate? If Lois were to be pollinated, would she produce seeds? What do they look like? How are they then distributed? Is there a corpse flower fruit (or fruiting body?)

7. Joyce says:

rwl, an explanation of the life cycle (including a picture of the seed) is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmns/4808560445/sizes/o/

Editor's Picks New Special Exhibition at HMNS – Vanishing Arts: Highlights from the Beasley-Hwang Collection Your Spring Break Guide for a Fossil-filled Visit to HMNS Google’s Field Trip Days At HMNS Missed Connections: Malachite And The Ancient Egyptians Everything you need to know about the Hubble Telescope Raptors – Group Hunters or Cannibals?
Previous Post Shaking Hands Now