Vote for your favorite Houston Museum

January 7, 2009

Whale vs. Squid
A scene from my favorite
Houston museum.
Creative Commons License photo credit: me and the sysop

Houston is home to an amazing variety of museums – from the traditional art, science and history museums to the National Museum of Funerary History, these are some of the places that make Houston such a unique and fascinating city.

And now – you can vote for your favorite! Click2Houston has new “Best Museum” poll – and even if you don’t vote, it’s worth a visit just to check out the variety of museums we have right here in town.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I voted for HMNS – where else can you travel the cosmos, walk with the dinosaurs, explore a tropical rainforest and go on an African safari, all without leaving Houston? But I might be a little biased.

What about you? If you vote, come back and leave us a comment. We’d love to know who you voted for – and what makes that museum your favorite.

Erin B
Authored By Erin B Blatzer

Erin is the Director of Business Development at HMNS. In a past life, she was a public relations and online marketing dynamo at HMNS.

12 responses to “Vote for your favorite Houston Museum”

1. Stephen says:

I would say that HMNS, MFAH, and the Menil are some fine institutions!

I was also wondering what museums you love outside of Houston.

2. Stephen says:

How many square feet of the museum is devoted for exhibit space? I do realize, and I know you do of course, that the one thing restraining HMNS is the space limitation, and the new wing should help a lot. How big is the new wing planned to be?

3. The Intern says:

I voted for HMNS, too! But maybe I’m a little biased as well 🙂

4. Erin B says:

Stephen,

I’m definitely a museum person – so if it’s a museum, I tend to love it. The American and The Brooklyn Museum in New York are amazing. But I also love the little museum in Malta where our Leonardo dinosaur is from.

I am not sure how much square footage is devoted to exhibit space – and it changes as we have rotating exhibitions fill or vacate certain spaces. But you’re right, the new wing will vastly expand this area. Since plans are still in the works, I can’t say by specifically how much at this point.

5. Stephen says:

Could you please try to find some kind of information about the size of the museum right now, whether exhibit space, or just total square footage of all facilities?

6. Erin B says:

I do have information on total square footage – The total museum size is currently around 240,000 square feet. This includes our exhibit space, theaters, classrooms, offices and collection space.

7. Amanda says:

I voted for HMNS because it is the best museum in the world!!

I saw this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/4209236/Tom-Campbell-director-of-New-Yorks-Metropolitan-Museum-interview.html

I cannot believe they said “Running the Metropolitan Museum is the most prestigious museum job in the world.” The Houston Museum of Natural Science is the most prestigious museum in the world and Joel should hold that title!

8. Amanda says:

Erin, wouldn’t you agree that the Metropolitan Museum is in no way more prestigious than the HMNS? I can’t believe the writer even wrote that!

9. Stephen says:

What are some natural history museums that you recommend? I know that the American Museum of Natural History is great, and I do plan to check it out when I stop in New York in a month.

10. Erin B says:

The American is fabulous – if you get going in that Museum, you probably won’t have time for any others! Since you’re in New York, though, you should hop on the train to DC and check out the Smithsonian. Have fun!

11. Thomas says:

Have you been to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art or the Getty Center? What about the Louvre? I am planning on visiting Paris and LA this summer and am wondering what you think about these museums if you have been. Thanks!

12. Erin B says:

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is spectacular, and definitely worth the visit. I’ve never been to Paris, but I don’t think you need a personal recommendation to know that the Louvre is a must-see. 🙂 Thanks for reading!