which is a meteorite?

May 14, 2008

Erin B
Authored By Erin B Blatzer

Erin is the Director of Business Development at HMNS. In a past life, she was a public relations and online marketing dynamo at HMNS.

8 responses to “which is a meteorite?”

1. Matt says:

Hi..I have a rock that looks like the meteorite, its heavy for its size, magnetic, and has a black coating, with some exposed rust on one section..I dont see any holes, im guessing its either a meteorite or iron slag..I would need an expert to look at it, do I need to make an appointment for you to examine it?..Also, I believe I found some Green Jade in its raw form here in Houston..It was in a load of fill material that a dumptruck delivered..Im not sure where he got it, but I assume it was from a dig pit in Houston, has any Jade been discovered in Houston that you know of?..thanks for your time..Matt

2. Jenni says:

I also have a rock that is very large I found on top of the mountains that has all the signs of a meteor. I was wondering if I could send a picture to someone to see what they thought it was.
    Thx, Jenni

3. James Wooten says:

You could send a picture to me at jwooten@hmns.org, and I could see if it resembles my samples

4. Caleb says:

hey, i have a collection of a few different types of magnetic rocks or meteorites i found in the Mojave desert. I will admit to being a beginner in meteor hunting but i am learning as i go. I have been doing my home work i guess you can say, and im sure i have at least 3 in my collection. i can send pics! can anyone help me out?

5. Erin F says:

Hi Caleb, You can send your pictures to blogadmiN@hmns.org and we’ll forward them to James to see what he can tell you about them. Thanks for your comment!

6. Gord M says:

Hello I was cleaning my yard and i found on my yard 4 black rocks.
    I have lived here for 10 yrs and have never seen anything of this type near or around my yard or neighborhood, When i picked them up they left an impression in the yard where they were laying. The holes in the ground were all on an angle
    They were within 2 or 3 ft of each other
    Then i looked at them a bit closer and noticed molten lines on one side only.
    I then got thinking that they could be possible meteorites.
    I dont believe they are slag, but if they are then how did they get there.
    So i did some searching and did all the tests asked, and they did do just that
    Magnetic, Melted edges, Very heavy in comparison to a rock of the same size. etc.

7. Gord M says:

Would like to know whom i may contact in regards to my findings
    I also have pics i can send as well
    Posted Apr 15 12:07pm

8. Fayza says:

Please send photos to webeditorAThmnsDOTorg.

Editor's Picks What The Loss Of The Museu Nacional in Rio de Janeiro’s Collections Means To The World What Is The Deal With Brontosaurus?! Lou The Corpse Flower : Why He Smells So Bad And Why We Should Be Excited When He Blooms Wait Just A Minute! Let’s Take A Second To Talk About the Origin Of Time Keeping. The Krak Des Chevaliers: A Tough Nut To Krak Polar Dinosaurs Are Real And They Are More Adorable Than Elves